Saturday 1st May 2021
Online Entry fee: R700 (includes VAT)
- Entries online open 15th Feb at 09h00 – entrytickets.net or quicket.co.za
- Entrants for the Mountain Marathon (42km) must be 18 years or older on race day
- No refunds, but substitutions are allowed up to three days before the event (for a substitution fee of R80)
- Entries will be available on the day with a late entry fee
- Should the event scheduled for the 30 April – 1 May 2021 be postponed due to National Restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, entries will be transferred to the rescheduled event or the 2022 Hobbit Trail Runs.
Race entry does not include the following:
- Personal medical and nutritional requirements
- Any snacks or performance nutrition during the event
- Basic medical support is offered for emergencies but excludes helicopter evacuation, or any hospitalization transport, which will be for the participant’s cost.
Registration and start times
- Registration at Arminel Hotel from 06h00 on Saturday, 1st May 2021
- Race Briefing Mountain Marathon – 6h55
- Race start Mountain Marathon (42km) – 7h00
- Prize-giving when the majority of runners are finished
Route Overview Mountain Marathon – 42km
The Zingcuka Loop starts at Hobbiton and after a short downhill to the Tyumie River climbs steeply up the mountain and behind The Hog. From here there is a steep descent and rock scramble down to the Wolf River where the trail joins up with the Merrell Hobbit 90km trail, negotiating two river valleys and then contouring along the top of the cliffs of the Zingcuka Valley forests. A very steep descent and a cool forest path leads to the hiking huts and the forest road. A little further the check point the long arduous climb up the Hog begins from where it is “all downhill” to the finish at the Arminel Hotel.
The route will be marked. See interactive route map here
Runners Info Mountain Marathon 42km
- Runners must be self-sufficient for the day, no seconding, and no feeding stations
- There are no water stations on the 38km route. There is adequate water at the many streams along the trail to refill bottles and bladders
- There will be cut off times along the way, after which emergency routes must be followed
- Times per day range between 4 and 10 hours
- Runners must be fit and should have completed at least a 20km trail (not just a dirt road) run recently
- Runners must stick to the marked trail. No short cuts are allowed.
- There will be a sweeper
- There will be checkpoints
- Smile and take in the scenery – that is why you are there!
- There will be emergency services on standby but participants must be fit, healthy and, under normal circumstances, be able to complete the event safely without aid.
- Should the race medic declare any participant unfit to continue, he or she must withdraw from the event.
- Helicopter evacuation, or any hospitalization transport or hospitalization, which will be at the athlete’s cost.
- EACH PARTICIPANT MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY.
Compulsory Running Equipment 42km
- Water container min 2l.
- WATERPROOF rain jacket (NOT just a wind breaker)
- Base layer / fleece top
- Base layer – legs/pants
- Buff / Beanie
- Space blanket
- Food/drink for the day
- Basic First aid kit
- Cell phone – emergency numbers will be on your race number